Chapter III – Protection of aquatic environments, riparian areas, wetlands and soils
Division I – Beds of lakes and watercourses
The travel of logging machines is prohibited on the bed of a lake.
- To preserve the integrity of a wildlife habitat
- To avoid disturbing the bed of a lake or watercourse
- To avoid carrying sediment into an aquatic, wetland or riparian environment
- To avoid contaminating the forest
- To preserve the integrity of an aquatic, wetland or riparian environment
Despite the foregoing, the travel of logging machines is allowed on the bed of a lake to construct, improve or repair a road, bridge or culvert to cross a lake if such work is authorized as part of an activity or project for which a certificate of authorization was issued following a decision of the authority concerned made under section 31.5, 164 or 201 of the Environment Quality Act (chapter Q-2).
- To allow certain forest development activities in or near a particular place
Where a certificate of authorization was issued under the Environment Quality Act to carry out construction, improvement or repair work on a road, bridge or culvert in order to cross a lake, this work must also be authorized by the Minister responsible for the Sustainable Forest Development Act . The Minister specifies the forest development activities that are permitted and sets the conditions that must be met when carrying them out.